Racing News

Round 7 of the Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge Report

The Final round of the Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge saw the Gotboost team head up to Donington Park. The drivers were keen to finish the season on a high and had booked various test days with a variety of Driver coaches.
The championship leader James Kellet was on hand to help out on Monday, fine tuning the Buddy Racing and Demon Tweeks Ginetta G40 GT5 cars setting blistering laps in both cars and set the target times for Nick Zaploksi and jack Minshaw to chase.
The data collected was invaluable and the GotBoost technicians got to grips with some braking and steering problems on Nick Zapolski’s car ready for more testing Friday.
Glen Broster used the services of Marcus Clutton a Gt3 racer to help improve his chances of keeping up with his team mates. Once again data analysis helped prove what the car was capable of, giving the driver the confidence to push to his limits, with Broster reducing his lap times by over two seconds during the day.
Charles Ferguson and Nick Zapolski tested on Friday, making the most of the sunshine to post some impressive times it looked like it was going to ultra competitive amongst the team as was in the overall standings.
Kellett arrived at Donington Park with a 34 point advantage over rival Chadwick, but after failing to finish the opening race that gap was slashed to just two, and the race for the title was well and truly on.
Zapolski’s race ended in when he was making a move on Taylor at the chicane the later coming into contact with the Buddy Racing driver and ending his race. Broster was pushing hard and ended the race in the gravel trap. Minshaw found himself in space and despite improving on his time in testing finished 8th. Ferguson drove consistent laps to finish 3rd a pattern he set all weekend.
Race two saw Chadwick finish up the road from Kellett, handing the championship lead by seven points ahead of the last race and everything still to play for.
Further down the field Zapolski and Minsahw were battling with Taylor again, and it was the Demon Tweeks driver who made the first decisive move, this was short lived after he left the circuit at the Old Hairpin and was passed by both Zapolski and Taylor. Zapolski who was now putting in his fastest laps of the weekend looked to make a clean move on Taylor at the Melbourne Hairpin which he made stick.
Although the Championship contenders jostled for position throughout the final encounter, a problem for Chadwick forced him to pull off circuit. Try as he might to work out the issue underneath his car, he was forced to retire from the race, handing the title to Kellett.
The final race of the season was to prove eventful for the team, with more laps under the safety car than racing, however there was still time for Minshaw to become Taylor’s latest victim after the later spun collecting him into Craner Curves causing a puncture and body damage. The GotBoost technicians had him back in the race after he pitted and in touch with the pack by the time the safety car came in. Broster ended his season by seeing the chequered flag for the only time all weekend. But Zapolski finished the season in the gravel. But highest placed with 7th in the overall standings,.
The consistent performances of Charles Ferguson throughout the season saw him take 3rd place in GRDC championship. His ability to finish races was matched by the ability of the Gotboost technicians to prepare his car to ensure reliability in this demanding race environment.